Which essential oils are good for colds, flu and coughs?
Hi, and welcome to another blog which may be invaluable information to help beat the winter colds and flu symptoms and those nasty coughs by using essential oils.
The best 8 essential oils to help the symptoms of colds, flu and coughs
- Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus Globulus) essential oil is probably the best known essential oil for cold and flu symptoms. It is made from the leaves and twigs of the plant and has many therapeutic properties which can help with cold and flu symptoms. It is a febrifuge so can help bring down fevers, its an analgesic so can help with headaches and aches and pains. Eucalyptus also has antibacterial and antiviral properties. Eucalyptus is also great for coughs as it has expectorant properties.
- Lemon (Citrus Limon) essential oil is also great for colds, flu and coughs as it’s antiviral and antibacterial, also having the ability to bring down fevers. Lemon essential oil is made from the fruit peel.
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) essential oil is made from the leaves and twigs of the plant and has antiviral and antibacterial properties it is also balsamic so is very soothing for sore throats and has anti-inflammatory properties so can with those aches and pains associated with colds and flu. Tea Tree is also an expectorant so is also good for coughs.
- Peppermint (Mentha Piperita) essential oil is distilled from the leaves and flowers and is another good essential for colds and flu. Peppermint can help to bring down fevers and is also a pain reliever so great for headaches, sore throats and muscular aches and pains. This oil is also an antiseptic and an expectorant so is great for coughs too.
- Lavender (Lavendula Angustifolia) essential oil is produced from the flowers and stems and is a great all round oil. But I do say it’s like marmite…. My clients either love it or hate it!! Lavender has antiseptic properties so is fantastic for colds, flu and sore throats, its also a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory so is wonderful for those aches and pains.
- Black Pepper (Piper Nigrum) essential oil is distilled from the nearly ripe berries. It’s great for coughs colds and flu as it has expectorant properties, it can also help to bring down fevers and is a pain reliever so can help with the symptoms of colds and flu.
- Myrrh (Commiphora Myrrha) essential oil is made from the resin of the bark of the tree and is another great oil to help with colds, flu and coughs. It is an antiseptic and also an expectorant.
- Frankincense (Boswellia Carteri) essential oil is distilled from the resin in the bark of the tree. This oil is an expectorant so is good for coughs.
How to use essential oils to combat cold, flu and cough symptoms
There are a few ways in which the above essential oils can be used to help with coughs, colds and flu symptoms.
- Steam inhalation – pour some boiling water in a bowl and add up to 3 drops in total of your chosen essential oil or oils. Then place your head over the bowl with a towel over your head keeping your eyes closed inhale slowly to breath in the vapours. This method can be used 3 times a day for no more than 3 consecutive days.
- Vaporiser – use either an electric vaporiser or a burner and place a few drops of your chosen essential oil or oils in the water, the oils will evaporate and fill your room with the aromas. Be careful with candles if using an oil burner.
- Baths – Simply fill your bath as normal and add upto 6 drops of your chosen essential oil or oils to the water, the essential oils will enter your body through your skin as well as through inhalation. Just be careful they don’t make your bath slippy.
- Compress – This is a great method to bring down a fever. Fill a bowl with cold water and add a few drops of your chosen essential oil or oils to the bowl. Dampen a flannel under the tap, ring out and then just lift the essential oils from the surface of the bowl with the flannel. Then place on the forehead until the flannel warms up.